Friday, September 18, 2020

Solo Blog

              In elementary school, I saw group projects as a fun opportunity to spend time with my friends. Now in high school, I can't stand a group assignment. My assignment is to produce a 5 minute short film and fully advertise it. We are given the option to work alone or in a group of up to 4 classmates. I am choosing to complete it alone.  Although I will have friends featured in my film, they will not make any decisions. That is exactly why I decided to take on this project alone. I do not want my grade to be based on anyone else's work or lack thereof. As it is my grade, it will be a representation of my skills and work. A benefit is control but a setback would be workload.

            In AICE Media A level, I did my first project in a group and although it was my favorite project, I did not like working in a group. It is easier to work with a group because of time management and work load. Working in a group though, limits your creative control. For example, if my group does not like my idea I have to work on a full project that won majority vote or is easier to do. That is a problem I ran into a lot last year with my group projects. I like to do all my work with dignity and creativity, so to do a project I don't want to do would leave me bored and bland. When you get full creative control, you don't have to vote for every song, every shot, and every costume. No one will fully understand your vision until it is executed so if I have full control I can do things the way I want and express my emotions, not a collective groups. 

        The only downside to working alone is the workload and responsibility all falls on you. I have to manage story-boarding, advertising, filming and editing all by myself in addition to all my other classes. That is a lot of work for a 16 year old I will not lie. As I said earlier though, I do all my work with pride so I am glad to take on a challenge.Working in a group can also be very distracting as people tend to collaborate with friends. This leads to getting off track. Last year a two-minute film which was supposed to take one day to film, ended up taking two days. The only reason for this is because we were not being serious with our time. I like collaborating with people and everyone loves less work but I do not believe I would submit an assignment that is authentic. The film I create will be an accurate representation of my creativity and skills. That is why I am choosing to work alone in this group-based project. 



No comments:

Post a Comment