Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Genre Research- Drama

             The last genre research I would be doing is Drama. This is one of my favorite genres because I feel that it develops the characters feelings more in depth and makes the story more emotionally relatable. My pitch is very personal. I am the girl stuck in quarantine longing for one night, but so is everyone. During this global pandemic everyone is forced to stay home and put a halt to the fun, lively lifestyle we are used to. The toll that quarantine has taken on me has made me appreciate my friends more than ever but has also affected my mental health as I feel everyday is the same and has no longing purpose. All these emotions can be portrayed in a drama film. One of my favorite camera movements in drama films are tracking shots that track someone walking or moving. The angles are usually eye-level, unless portraying the idea of being more/less powerful. The editing is very close or are cut to focus on reactions or the emotions of the cast. Examples could be eye line matches, which react to something such as a phone notification, which then cuts to the phone. Mis-en-scene is very broad depending on its subgenre such as teen drama or historical drama. The outfits are quite substantial, whether they are exaggerated or substantial for the character, one example of tis would be Wonderwoman's costume which is key for her character. The lighting is also very broad depending on the genre but while intense or deep conversations go on, the lights get dimmer and the background focuses so that the audience can focus on what they are saying and not get distracted by any side features. My favorite examples of Drama films would be Bombshell, Queen & Slim, and the show Euphoria. I actually want to base one of my scenes off of a scene from Euphoria where Jules was shown standing in a car with the roof open listening to music, feeling the wind in her hair as she goes through a tunnel. That scene showed her being free, happy and content. I like drama movies because they establish connections and do an amazing job of telling stories with an emotional perspective. Although, I dislike how some drama films are too serious and feel like I have to invest my attention every second or I will lose the story. Overall I think drama will be the best genre for me to do my film.

.


No comments:

Post a Comment